Policies Related to Compliance Mandates
The below LASD Policies Have Been Submitted to DOJ & the Federal Monitors for Approval:
- Unit Order on the station's Community Advisory Committee (Approved 05/03/16).
- Unit Order on Supplemental Patrol Procedures (Approved 05/03/16).
- Unit Order on Supplemental Supervisory Responsibilities (Approved 05/03/16).
- Policy on Limited English Proficiency in the context of searches, bias-free policing, and complaint intake. Related to Settlement Agreement (SA) items 52, 66, and 125 (Revised/Approved 04/08/18).
- Policy on photography, audio, and videotaping by the public and members of the press, which establishes a prohibition against discouraging members of the public from documenting police activities. Related to SA item 106 (Revised/Approved 11/06/17).
- Policy on seizure of photographic video or audio evidence from a private citizen or member of the press, related to item above (Revised/Approved 11/06/17).
- A policy on Housing Non-Discrimination (Approved 02/23/18).
- Policy on housing authority non-criminal investigations/inspections (FOD), regarding searches, accompaniment on Section 8 compliance checks, and fair housing reporting and analysis. Related to SA items 54, 76, 77, 78, 79, and 80. (This policy was implemented in 2012 subject to a separate lawsuit.) (Revised/Approved 03/14/18).
- A revised policy on use of force, to address general use of force policy principles, use of force reporting policy, and use of force supervisory investigations. Related to SA items 103, 105, 110, 109, 111a, 111b, 111e, 112a, 112d, 113, 116, 117, 118, and 117 (Submitted to Monitors/DOJ for approval 11/02/17 - Returned for Additional Changes).
- Policy on constitutional policing, regarding the right of members of the public to receive equal protection of the law, without bias as to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, relation, gender, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation. Related to SA item 64 (Revised/Approved 05/15/17). Includes the following:
- Policy on stops, seizures, and searches, which establishes that investigatory stops and detentions shall be initiated and carried out based on the tenets of constitutional policing and bias-free policing, as in above policy. Related to SA items 41, 43, 50, 51, 52, 56, and 64 (Revised/Approved 05/15/17).
- Policy on backseat detentions, addressing when and by what rationale backseat detentions can be used and how to handle citizen complaints about such detention. Related to SA items 48 and 49 (Revised/Approved 05/15/17).
- Policy on logging public contacts. Related to SA item 44 (Revised/Approved 05/15/17).
- Policy on statistical codes for traffic, pedestrian, and bicycle stops. Related to SA item 44 (Revised/Approved 05/15/17).
- Policy on logging field activities. Related to SA item 44 (Revised/Approved 05/15/17).