Carry a Concealed Weapon Licensing - CCW
The issuance of licenses enabling a private citizen to carry a concealed weapon (CCW) is of great concern to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. In accordance with California Penal Code 26150 et. Seq., and subject to Department policy and procedures, any Los Angeles County resident may be issued a CCW from the Sheriff, if qualified.
The applicant will thoroughly complete Sections 1-8, of the Department of Justice Standard Application. The completed application can be submitted to your local Sheriff Station or mailed to:
Hall of Justice
ATTN: CCW Coordinator
211 West Temple Street 8th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90012
A $10 non-refundable check or money order made payable to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD) should be included with the application. Once the application is received, the applicant will be contacted to schedule an interview. Prior to submitting an application, please ensure all qualifications have been met to avoid any delay.
Each applicant MUST
- Be of good moral character.
- Provide good cause.
- Be a minimum of 21 years old.
- Own a registered firearm in California.
- Reside in Los Angeles County or a city within the County. If the applicant is not a resident of an area served by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the applicant MUST apply for a Carry a Concealed Weapon license with their respective police agency. Only when a “denial letter” is issued, LASD will process the current application. If the applicant is active military, duty station orders indicating assignment within California (LA County) should be provided.
List of Police Departments in agreement with LASD for processing CCW licenses.
The following documents are required to continue through the interview process. Any required document not provided, will result in a cancelled interview and will need to be re-scheduled.
- Valid California Driver’s License or California Identification Card
- Original Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate
- Proof of Los Angeles County Residency (utility bill)
- DD-214 (if applicable)
- Documents supporting good cause, if applicable (police reports, restraining orders, etc.)
Applicants must successfully complete a firearms training course, per Penal Code 26165. After a thorough background investigation, the applicant will be contacted by the CCW Coordinator to proceed with firearms training from a DOJ certified instructor.
Print and provide the following form to your Firearms Training Instructor to be signed. Also, attach a copy of the instructor’s certification card.
Shooting Proficiency Standards Form – PDF
When the applicant has completed firearm training, contact the CCW Coordinator to schedule a pick-up date for their license to carry a concealed weapon. On the day of pickup the applicant is required to bring the following:
- Check or money order in the amount of $56 made payable to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD).
- Signed Shooting Proficiency Form.
Fees are subject to change
Application Fee: $10 (Initial and Renewal)
Live Scan (DOJ): $93 Standard (Two-Year)
Initial License: $56 Standard (Two-Year)
DOJ Renewal Fee: $52 Standard (Two-Year)
License Renewal: $29 Standard (Two-Year)