Carry a Concealed Weapon Licensing - CCW
The issuance of licenses enabling a private citizen to carry a concealed weapon (CCW) is of great concern to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. In accordance with California Penal Code 26150 et. Seq., and subject to Department policy and procedures, any Los Angeles County resident may be issued a CCW from the Sheriff, if qualified.
The applicant will thoroughly Complete Sections 1-8,INCLUDING SECTION 7 and Sign Pages 3, 8, and 11, of the Department of Justice Standard Application. The completed application can be submitted to your local Sheriff Station or mailed to:
NOTE: The DOJ Application instructs the applicant to only complete Section 7, when directed to do so. The CCW Unit requires Section 7 to be complete in order to contact you.
Hall of Justice
ATTN: CCW Coordinator
211 West Temple Street 8th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90012
A $30 non-refundable check or money order made payable to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD) should be included with the application. Once the application is received, the applicant will be contacted to schedule an interview. Prior to submitting an application, please ensure all qualifications have been met to avoid any delay.
The following documents are required and will be submitted at the time of your interview. Any required document not provided, will result in a cancelled interview and will need to be re-scheduled.
- Valid California Driver’s License, or California Identification Card
- Original Birth Certificate, or Naturalization Certificate, or Valid US Passport
- Proof of Los Angeles County Residency (utility bill). If you do not have a utility bill, advise your Investigator when you are contacted to discuss additional documents accepted as proof of residency.
- DD-214 (if applicable)
- Documents supporting good cause, if applicable (police reports, restraining orders, etc.)
Applicants must successfully complete a firearms training course, per Penal Code 26165. After a thorough background investigation, the applicant will be contacted by the CCW Coordinator to proceed with firearms training from a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department approved Training Provider.
- New Applicants must complete a training course lasting at least 8 hours but not exceeding16 hours.
- Renewal applicants must complete a training course lasting at least 4 hours.
- The course shall include instruction on firearm safety, firearm handling, shooting technique, and laws regarding the permissible use of a firearm.
- All firearms shall be inspected by the training provider to ensure that it is safe, operable, and in compliance with CA state and federal regulations.
- Applicants must complete and pass a live fire course with each firearm to be listed on the license.
Any handgun that the applicant intends to carry and have listed on their CCW license shall meet the bellow criteria prior to being used during their required firearms training. Failure to follow the criteria or failure to adhere to CA state and federal regulations will result in the immediate suspension and/or revocation of the license.
- The handgun must be registered/DROS to the applicant.
- The handgun must be concealable upon the person or reasonably sized bag or purse.
- The handgun, magazines, and ammunition must be in compliance with applicable CA state and federal laws.
- “AR Pistols” and similar handguns are not permitted.
Want to become an LASD approved Training Provider?
Becoming a Training Provider
When the applicant has completed their firearm training course, send a copy of the completed and signed Shooting Proficiency form to CCW_Unit@lasd.org . The CCW Coordinator will contact the applicant to schedule a pick-up date for their license to carry a concealed weapon.
On the day of pickup the applicant is required to bring the following:
- Check or money order in the amount of $120 made payable to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD).
Fees are subject to change
Application Fee: $30 (Initial and Renewal)
Live Scan (DOJ): *Live Scan Fee varies per vendor (Two-Year)
Initial License: $120 Standard (Two-Year)
DOJ Renewal Fee: $52 Standard (Two-Year)
License Renewal: $29 Standard (Two-Year)
Overview of the CCW Process
Frequently Asked Questions
- We recommend to submit the renewal application within 60 days of expiration.
- Complete a four (4) hour refresher course and complete the Shooting Proficiency Standards form.
- Submit the DOJ application to the Hall of Justice (211 W. Temple St. Los Angeles 90010, Attn: CCW Unit). Include a copy of your most recent utility bill , Shooting Proficiency Form and application fee.
- You will be contacted by an Investigator for further. See fee schedule for fees.