The Application Process
To make sure we’re getting the best applicants you must pass a number of exams and screenings. The full process to become a Deputy Sheriff Trainee can average between six and nine months. The process can be shorter or longer, depending on the applicant.
Your path to success starts here:
- Complete and submit an online application and Supplemental Questionnaire.
- Take the Multiple Choice exam on one of our many testing dates. If you receive a passing score, you immediately advance to take the Validated Physical Ability Test.
- Take the Validated Physical Ability Test (VPAT).
- Complete the Structured Interview.
- Complete and submit a Web Personal History Statement (WEBPHS) online and upload Notarized Waiver.
- You will be assigned a Background Investigator, who will conduct a thorough background investigation.
- Complete a polygraph examination. Here is a video for the Polygraph Examination, to avoid any unnecessary delays.
- Schedule and complete a Jail tour and patrol station ride-along.
- Your completed background case will be submitted for an Administrative Review.
- Complete a psychological evaluation, which includes a four hour written test and a meeting with a psychologist.
- Complete a medical examination, to evaluate your physical ability to perform the duties of a Deputy Sheriff.
- Pre-Academy Consultation with the Captain of Personnel Administration Bureau, prior to the start of the Academy.
- Assigned to an Academy.
- Attend the POST certified 20 week Academy at one of our three locations: East Los Angeles, Valencia, or Whittier.
Call Us Today at 800 - A Deputy (233-7889)
Speak to a recruiter and get your questions answered!