The Application Process
There are several steps in the application process for becoming a Deputy Sheriff in Los Angeles County. The first one is just submitting an online application. Here you will find the entire application process and find relevant links you will need throughout your journey to joining The Department.
To make sure we’re getting the best applicants you must pass a number of exams and screenings. The full process to become a Deputy Sheriff Trainee can average between six and nine months. The process can be shorter or longer, depending on the applicant.
Your path to success starts here:
- Complete and submit an online application and Supplemental Questionnaire.
- Take the Multiple Choice exam on one of our many testing dates. If you receive a passing score, you immediately advance to take the Validated Physical Ability Test.
- Take the Validated Physical Ability Test (VPAT).
- Complete the Structured Interview.
- Complete and submit a Web Personal History Statement (WEBPHS) online and upload Notarized Waiver.
- You will be assigned a Background Investigator, who will conduct a thorough background investigation. This will include a Polygraph Examination.
- Schedule and complete a Jail tour and patrol station ride-along.
- Your completed background case will be submitted for an Administrative Review.
- Complete a psychological evaluation and medical examination.
- Pre-Academy Consultation, prior to the start of the Academy.
- Attend the POST certified 22-week Academy at one of our locations: Whittier or Valencia.